Monday, August 25, 2014

Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease

This month was a hard month at our house. Breck's 1st birthday was approaching at the end of the month and we were preparing for his 1st birthday party. I had planned his birthday party for Aug 23rd. Unfortunately things did not turn out the way I had planned and my poor baby boy got sick. He contracted the Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease (HFMD). I had heard of this disease and had a minor case myself a couple  years ago. When my son started to show signs of the bumps on his bum on a thursday. I mistook the bumps for the start of a rash and treated it as a diaper rash. Friday the bumps got worse on his bum but I didn't notice anything else until the next day. Saturday the bumps, which looked like rashes, appeared where his eczema shows up; creases of his elbows, creases of his knees and so I thought he was having a reaction to something. My son has had eczema since he was born, so I didn't think much of it. On Sunday that's when my really worry began. When I got him out of bed and dressed him I found what looked like HFMD gone wrong. The bumps that were on his bum and no where else had exploded! They were ALL over his body and looked terrible! On Monday they looked even worse. I looked at pictures online and my friends daughter had HFMD but Breck's looked nothing like what I was seeing! I called and made an appt with my doctor to see Breck and determine what was happening. So, I am writing this post to help others out there that may have this RARE case of HFMD for their child. We saw 2 doctors that day, and they both had never seen anything like this. They told me it looked like chicken pox, but also looked like HFMD gone wrong. That didn't help to make me feel better. After looking him over and his symptoms they informed me that he did in fact have HFMD. The bumps all over his body was his body reacting to the disease. They told me it was what they call a wet eczema. They said my poor baby had the worst case of HFMD and the wet eczema they had seen. I felt so bad. He was in so much pain! Below are some pics so you can see what it looked like. The pictures don't do it justice, it just seemed so much worse, but this can give you an idea. 


It was so painful for him. Anytime he filled his diaper he would just scream!








This was his bum and legs from behind the day after we went to the Dr. 

Legs from the front









His poor legs!





There were a few bumps around his mouth. There were quite a few inside his mouth and in his throat.




I could not cure the virus, I just had to wait it out but I did use some tricks to help ease his pain. I stayed home with him and kept him away from everyone for a week. The Dr's informed me that they are contagious through physical contact for about a week to a week 1/2. After that they are contagious through their saliva and stool for a month. This is a tough virus for sure! I kept my son in long sleeve shirts and pants the whole time until his bumps and wounds healed. I kept socks on his hands and feet at all times. At first Breck was not too sure about them. After the bumps appeared on his hands and feet and he took the socks off and tried to walk/crawl he cried. The bumps were so painful and the socks helped to keep an extra layer so it wasn't so painful to put pressure on them. 
I rubbed gentle baby and Thieves on his hands and feet every morning and night. 

Coconut oil has so many amazing uses! After his baths and morning and night I would rub the cocount oil all over his body. It kept the bumps from turning scaly and dry and kept them from getting an infection. 

Colloidal Silver I sprayed on the bumps and down his throat morning and night. 


This lotion is the most AMAZING lotion! I have tried Aquaphor, Eucerin lotion, oatmeal lotions etc. Anything I can get my hands on to try to help with my son's eczema. This Eucerin cream is the only thing that has been able to help. I use it any time he has a reaction, I use it for his rashes and during this breakout, the Eucerin Cream did wonders! Helped him so much!

Cephalexin is the Antibiotic the Dr's prescribed to us for Breck. They prescribed it to keep the wet eczema from becoming infected and turning into something worse. 

I used pedia care at night to help him sleep and to lessen his pain. 

It hurt for him to eat or drink so I used Freezer pops! He took them like a champ. These cold popsicles helped to keep him hydrated. 

I kept these diced peaches in the fridge. Like I stated before, anything super cold was the only thing he would eat. 

Fruit pouches, kept cold, were a life saver as well!

I sprayed Lysol on his toys every time he played with his toys to keep the germs from spreading. 

I Diffused Citrus Bliss along with Lemon essential oils. They smell good which makes my home smell heavenly but they also help to keep the air clean. 


This is my diffuser. 

I had not heard or seen anything like this before and I hope that this can help someone out there who is facing the same thing with their little one!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found this. My little boy broke out with what I thought was yeast from antibiotics he was taking and he actually has HFAM. He doesn't have a lot of bumps on the outside but the inside of his mouth is covered. Where did you get the throat spray?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that this post has helped you! That was my goal since I couldn't find anything close to what I was looking for when my son go HFAM. Your poor little guy, I hope he feels better. It is no fun for them and super painful! The spray I got from online. This link is having a sell on them right now. I use the Source Naturals Wellness brand because they are the best and more pure. Here's the link! Good luck and I hope your little guy feels better! http://www.supersup.com/source-naturals-wellness-colloidal-silver-throat-spray-30-ppm-1-fl-oz-liquid-29-57-ml-021078010272

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the home remedies. I hope they work for my 2 sons and myself. Yeppers there are 3 of us at one time having it. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the home remedies. I hope they work for my 2 sons and myself. Yeppers there are 3 of us at one time having it. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete